Action Ideas from the Health Literacy Month Handbook
In Helen Osborne's "Health Literacy Month Handbook: The Event Planning Guide For Health Literacy Advocates", she notes several ways that people could promote health literacy during health literacy month, depending on interests, resources and community needs. Here are her ideas:
- Hospitals may host health literacy educational workshops for their employees or the general public.
- Senior centers often run prescription safety sessions.
- A literacy program might sponsor a health literacy fair.
- A library can display samples of effective consumer health information.
- A school may publish a health literacy newsletter.
- Employers sometimes sponsor educational programs for employees focusing on wellness and disease prevention.
Download the handbook here to help you plan your event!